Thursday, January 28, 2010

Heartworm prevention for beloved ones



       I am so happy to be home, Shydow my cat greeted me at the door with her silent questioning: "Where were you ?" .  As I went to the kitchen, I picked up the moring paper that  I had left on the counter, as I was flipping through the pages something  had caught my eye ,  an article about heartworm prevention for pets, our beloved silent family members, and how we can give them the best care available .  As I was reading, I noted it is not just the food and shelter we give them, but the medical care we offend  forget to get for ourselves, so naturally we forget to take them (pets) to the vet. We (people) as a whole are truely neglectfully if we realize the truth. I am just stating a fact. Most pet owners don't take their cherished pet family members to the vet,it is only  till a health crisis appears they do something active to help the pet in pain.
       Heartworm is a cruel disease, its worms that live in the heart and  in the surrounding blood vessels near the heart. It is also fatel in not treated . Dogs and cats can contract this horrible disease if we are not careful but luckly there is prevention available for them. Heartworm disease is spread though viaa mosquitos.  Prevention will depend on where you and your pets live.  Certain areas of the country, mosquito population is at a minimal.  With a low amounts of rainfalls, and as well as less water available for mosquitos to lay eggs, making it less likely for heartworm disease to spread,but in other part of the country it is the opposite affect.  Mosquitos are more likey to lay eggs due to heavy rainfalls and  many places where great amounts of water is avilable for mosquitos to lay eggs. With this in mind pet owners must be very vigil against the disease. 
    Heartworm prevention can also prevent other parasitic disease such as roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms. theas parasites live in the digestive tracts and are  spreadable  via animal to animal
(cat to cat),(dog to dog) and so forth, and be picked up anywhere an infected animal  has lefted a deposit. Most owners have many questions about this touchy subject and should really take the time to make appointment with a local vet witha list of questions and concerns about this very serious matter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment